Taking regular measures to maintain the aesthetic value of your wrought iron security widow grills is something that experts recommend, as it will extend the lifespan of your decorative window security features, saving you from replacing them prematurely or having to pay for expensive repairs. Maintenance is necessary due to exposure to weather conditions such as high rainfall and humidity as well as general wear and tear.
A typical maintenance challenge with wrought iron security grills in Sydney homes is rust, especially in those located near coastal locations. Ongoing maintenance is required to prevent damage to the grills and ensure the integrity of your window’s security. Here are three ways you can do that.
- Use A Protective Sealant
Several protective sealant products are available in the market to protect the paintwork on your grills. Look for a product with superior anti-corrosive properties to guard against rust damage.
- Conduct Regular Inspections
Inspecting your wrought iron grill regularly for the appearance of cracks or signs of rust is the best way to keep on top of any future problems. Other signs to pay attention to are chips in paintwork, discoloured paint and missing sections. A proactive approach will take care of minor issues before they turn into major, more expensive problems.
- Clean Your Wrought Iron Grills Regularly
Dirt can often hide underlying problems like rust which is why cleaning your wrought iron frames regularly is especially important. When undertaking the cleaning process, it’s useful to keep in mind the following tips:
- Use a mild detergent and water (avoid detergents that contain bleach).
- Use a small soft brush such as an old toothbrush to tackle hard-to-reach crevices especially found on elaborate designs.
- Avoid using harsh window sprays and polishes as these products can lead to staining.
- After cleaning, rinse your grills thoroughly with clean water (preferably with a hose) and then allow it to air dry in the sun.
- Remove any rust patches by gently filing down the affected area with sandpaper or a piece of steel wool. Once the rust flakes are brushed away, go through the cleaning steps once again.
Have you discovered a maintenance issue with your window grills or want to replace old grills with a new set? Speak to us at King Security Doors, the specialists in quality security window grills in Sydney.